It has been a few weeks, so it was nice to get back to wine tasting with JP and our friends at Party Town.
Our selections included:
- Vinicola del Sannio Falanghina from Benevento, Italy
- Vinicola del Sannio Fiano from Benevento, Italy
- Vinicola del Sannio Aglianico from Benevento, Italy
- Seghesio 2014 Zinfandel from Sonoma, California
- Ridge 2013 Three Valleys from Sonoma, California – A red blend of 80% Zinfandel, 11% Carignane, 8% Petite Sirah, 1% Alicante Bouschet
Both Falanghina and Fiano were new grape varieties to us. #1 was light, delicate, and pleasing. We preferred it over #2. With Carousel Winery having set the bar so high with their 14 year oak aged Aglianico, I found #3 to be disappointing and lacking. There was just not enough there for me. #4 was nice, but I was surprised that it was the red blend #5 that turned out to be my favorite of the day.
Jamie was at it again, this time sharing three wines from her collection:
- Domaine de Cause 2011 Notre Dame des Champs from Cahors, France – Malbec
- Bluemont Vineyard 2014 Viognier from Bluemont, Virginia
- Afton Mountain Vineyards 2010 Pentoloa D’Oro from Afton, Virginia – A dessert blend of Gewurztraminer and Muscat
Malbec is one of my favorites and France always has a place in our hearts. I enjoyed #1. #2 was Jamie’s favorite Viognier, but as a white wine, it was not my preference. #3 was a nice dessert wine that reminded us of the Sauternes we had sampled in France.