Leelanau Wine Cellars came recommended to us by friends. We were also familiar with it from their Witches Brew which is a spiced wine featured at Party Town in the fall. With so many varieties and affordable prices we couldn’t wait to get started.
Their tasting room featured a long bar that spanned one entire side of the building which overlooked a small bay on the peninsula.
We set to work on the lengthy tasting ahead of us sampling from the following. Some were our picks and others were suggestions from our host as he learned what we did or did not like.
- 2012 Dry Riesling
- 2013 Chardonnay
- Autumn Harvest – a red blend of Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon
- Tall Ship Red – a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Malbec
- Sleeping Bear Red – a blend of Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, and Baco Noir
- 2012 Pinot Noir
- 2013 Merlot
- 2013 Cabernet Franc
- 2012 Meritage – a red blend of 3 of the 5 Meritage grapes
- 2013 Baco Noir Rose
- Summer Sunset – a semi dry blush wine
- 2015 Vignoles
- Great Lakes Red – Concord
- 2013 Late Harvest Riesling
- 2013 Late Harvest Vidal
- 2013 White Port
- Blueberry Dessert Wine
- Cherry Dessert Wine
- Raspberry Dessert Wine
Picking favorites turned out to be quite the daunting task. There were so many that we each liked. It did not take long to determine that we needed to purchase a mixed case. And with an additional 15% off, that was certainly the way to go! We were like kids in a candy shop as we ran about filling our case.
Aary and Abree found a cozy corner in which to relax while they waited for us to check out.
But they could only behave for so long!
Leelanau Wine Cellars offers something for everyone. Their wines are tasty, fun, and affordable. Another gem from our trip. If you are in the area, don’t miss this one!