As we traveled down the western coast of Michigan, we located another winery that would be open during out timeline. They also had a separate tasting room but we always like it better to visit the winery.
Their wines were all named with a musical theme. Our timing was such that we were only within days of the release of their Oceana Red. We were disappointed that it was not yet ready to sample.
Splitting a tasting, Bushmaster and I sampled the following:
- 2013 Red Rhythm – a blend of Pinot Noir and Chancellor
- 2014 Red Melanges – a blend of Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2014 Minuet G Minor – a white blend of Gewurztraminer and Traminette
- Michigan Melody – a white blend of Riesling and Vignoles
- 2014 Oceana White – a blend of Vidal Blanc and Riesling
The Red Melanges was fantastic. Cab Franc and lots of oak is always a win for me.
Our hostess was delightful and had a number of recommendations for restaurants and shopping in the area. We wished we had had more time as we missed out on another interesting winery that would have involved some back tracking in our travels. However, she was quick to point out another one with a tasting room that was on our path.
Although it hadn’t been in our original travel plans, our winery stops were turning out to be some very nice breaks with some good wine and conversation. It was so nice to be able to “stop and smell the grapes” (our roses) along the way.