JP pulled together four different blends for us to try this day:
- Qupe 2015 A Modern White form Central Coast California – a white blend of Chardonnay, Viognier, and Marsanne
- The Curator 2013 from South Africa – a red blend of Shiraz and Cinsault
- 19 Crimes 2016 The Banished from Australia – a dark red blend of Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon
- Ruffino Il Ducale 2012 Tuscana – a red blend of Sangiovese, Merlot, and Syrah
We finished off with a sample:
- Contratto Aperitif from Italy
A tasting heavy on the reds is always a win for me, although I did find Qupe to be very enjoyable. My pick of the day was The Curator. Smooth and delicious, I spent all my revisits on this one.
The Contratto Aperitif was an interesting experience of a blend of 100% natural flavors. Bitter orange came through strongly to me. While orange is rarely my thing, several other people really liked it. Further research recommended that it be used in mixing and I can see where it would add some unique characteristics and be worth some further exploration.
We also brought in some small bottles of our most recently bottled experiments:
- Snickerdoodle’s Exotica – tropical fruit wine
- Snickerdoodle’s Peachy Keen – peach wine
Both were small one gallon batches we made from Philicon Premium Fresh juice. Our main objective was to provide JP with a sampling to see what he thought. Of course we shared with our friends there as well. Our new wines were met with positive reviews and we are looking forward to our “official” unveiling of them as well as a few others later this month at our Uncorking Party.